History

The School of Nursing is nationally recognized as one of the prestigious nursing schools in the country, with a tri-fold mission of excellence in nursing education, research and practice. Hospital-based nursing education initiated in 1913 at SYSU when the Nursing School of Bo-ji Hospital was founded. In 1925, the Nursing School of the Affiliated Hospital of School of Medicine at SYSU was founded. In 1953, the two nursing schools merged and was named the Affiliated Nursing School of the Medical College, and later was renamed the Affiliated Health School of Sun Yat-sen University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) in 1985. With the economical reform and openning-up in China in early 1980s, the Department of Nursing Science of SUMS was founded and tertiary nursing education began at the Unversity in 1985. It was one of the earliest baccalaureate nursing programs in the country. In October 2001, the School of Nursing of SUMS was renamed School of Nursing of SYSU when the SYSU and SUMS merged.